Taken from http://www.tynehamopc.org.uk/
Tyneham is Dorset’s famous ‘lost’ village. In November 1943 notice was given to the villagers that they would be required to leave within 28 days as the area was needed for forces’ training.
On 17 December 1943 the last villagers left believing that one day they would be able to return. Sadly this was never to happen.
Today, the village is still part of the Army Ranges but access is allowed most weekends and all public holidays.
The intervening years have taken their toll. Only the church and school house remain intact. With names on the pegs and schoolwork on the desks, it feels as if only minutes ago the children had run outside to play….